Faculty and Researchers
This page provides information for faculty, instructors, research staff, international scholars, and postdocs in response to Covid-19.
See the All Staff page for updates, policies, resources, and updates relevant to all MIT employees.
- Subject and student surveys for Spring 2020: Details about the plan for obtaining student feedback on remote teaching and learning this semester.
- Summer student options & travel: Update on MIT-sponsored student travel and summer programs.
- Academic contingency planning: Backup planning to ensure continuity in our academic programs.
- Follow-up to emergency academic regulations: Additional guidance re alternate grades: Answers to frequently asked questions on grading.
- Registrar’s Office academic continuity FAQ: Revised academic calendar and information for students and instructors related to online classes.
- Emergency academic regulations: A message from Faculty Chair Rick L. Danheiser on changes to MIT’s academic policies.
- Tenure policy adjustment: All junior (non-tenured) faculty will automatically receive a one-year tenure-clock extension.
- Securing Zoom meetings and classes to prevent disruption
- Teach Remote website: resources, tools, and support for online teaching.
- Statement regarding acceptable online conduct
- Advice for faculty about remote teaching: Message from Krishna Rajagopal on beginning online teaching.
- Virtualizing experiential learning: Tips and resources for experiential learning educators.
- Zoom video conferencing: MIT now has a site license for Zoom. Access 24/7 support from IS&T by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or by phoning 617-32-HELP-U.
- View the video from Krishna Rajagopal, dean for digital learning, about MIT’s remote learning strategy.
- The Teach Remote community site (moderated by MIT Open Learning) is available to post ideas and resources regarding online instruction.
Guidance about students
- Supporting students:
- Tips for supporting and working with students: Guidance from student support professionals from the Office of the Vice Chancellor and the Division of Student Life.
- Student Support and Wellbeing: Additional information about support resources available to students.
- Remote Learning website: Best practices for students to help them make the transition to online learning.
- Graduate student research:
- Graduate students who are able to conduct research remotely should make arrangements with their advisors and supervisors to do so.
- Graduate students will continue to receive stipends regardless of where they work. Get general information about Institute pay policies in response to Covid-19.
- UROP policies and student access to campus facilities: In-lab/in-person UROPs have been suspended. Remote UROPs are allowed with faculty permission.
- Visiting Student Program guidance: Current visiting students should follow the same guidance provided to graduate students regarding housing; visiting students with upcoming program dates should defer their program dates until at least June 1.
- Student research opportunities: We need your help
- Covid-19 research and community support:
- Research Administration Services (RAS):
- Research Administration Services guidance and policy revisions
- Research Administration Services FAQ
- Sponsor-specific guidance regarding how the Covid-19 response may impact proposals and awards
- Information regarding human-subjects research during Covid-19 disruptions
- Information on research involving animals during Covid-19 crisis (MIT certificate required)
- Research facilities and laboratory safety:
- MIT Cambridge campus Limited Access Plan
- Scaling back on-campus research: Guiding principles regarding on-campus research activities to prioritize the most critical research work and limit population density on campus.
- Research continuity guidance for laboratories and research facilities
- Environment, Health & Safety (EHS) Covid-19 FAQ